Thursday 3 October 2013

Fine Art Brief (1)

For our new Fine Art brief we have to interpret the word "traces" and think about what it means to us. I decided to focus on memories, as you often don't remember everything exactly how it happened, because memories fade - so all you are left with are "traces" of your memories.
 
One of the artists that inspired me was Maaike Schoorel.
The artist explains that people are used to viewing images quickly and that media, such as television and internet, present everything in a disjointed way. Her paintings, on the other side, reveal themselves slowly, and you actually need time to start seeing the hidden images and the meaning behind them. That way, she creates a "sense of connection" with the viewer. Each brush stroke and mark is important.
As she said, her paintings are usually "felt" before they are "seen". I wanted to create a similar sense in my work concentrated around fading memories.
 
Maaike Schoorel's work:



 
 
To begin with my images, as a reference I used my old family photographs to continue with the theme of memories. I wanted them to be recognizable, but a bit unclear and hard to see, similar to Maaike's work.
 

 

Medium used: acrylics and watercolor
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment